Saturday, September 23, 2006

Have a nice trip... see you next fall

Fall is in the air. I’ve always liked fall. In school when we had to say our favorite season, I always said summer because that’s what everyone else said; only the teacher would talk about fall as a great chance for new beginnings and the inevitable school metaphor of the “clean slate.” Maybe it’s because I am the teacher now, or just not as influenced by peer pressure, but fall really is my favorite season. For some reason it is a season of nostalgia for me. I can’t help but think of the high school Homecoming dance (over-hyped at the time), decking out in blue and orange (though the football team never came through) and cross country races (absolute hell). Why these things seem so great now I’m not sure, but it’s a feeling I can’t help. I get excited for Halloween and harvest-type decorations though I really never liked Halloween due to an unfortunate My Little Pony costume malfunction and refuse to put scarecrows anywhere near my living space. I know I can’t back it up and I know it’s based on feelings that have no real foundation— but I like fall and I nominate it as the best, and most undervalued, season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home