Monday, September 12, 2005

Back again

Bill and I are now contributing members of society. We started orientation for work last week and had our first official day today.

Here's a short recap of orientation.
I met more Sisters (in the nun sense) than I ever have in my life. They are, for the most part, liberal activist Sisters, but Sisters none-the-less. All of them are very Boston with an undeniable South Boston twist. Bill is now Bill Hanna-r at work. The funniest part is that all of the Sisters have ridiculously Irish names as South Boston is HUGELY Irish. Bill works for Sr. Maureen O'Brien (one of three Maureens in the building) and I work for Sr. Jean Sullivan. It's great; I feel like a student in a Catholic boarding school circa 1940.

My first day was uneventful. I am working at a learning center where mothers can get their GEDs, and then find resources to go on to further schooling or get a job. The mothers receive free child care, which is were I come in. The center offers an infant room, toddler room, and a Montesorri Nursery School. I'm in the preschool with 13 3-6 years olds and 3 other teachers. It gets a little chaotic, but it's fun. The kids like to copy the teachers, so today everyone called everyone "Honey." Four year olds calling 50 year old ladies "Honey" is quite entertaining. I have some very important duties such as preparing the snack and getting the resting mats ready, so obviously I am extremely valuable to the classroom.

Because this post was a little too reporter-like for my taste, I've decided to include a list of Boston words and phrases that I hate.

1. Carriage for shopping cart. It is not pulled by horses.
2. Pocketbook for purse. Just an unappealing word all together.
3. Evactuation Day for St. Patrick's Day. The evacuation of the British from
Boston is much less remarkable than a holiday supporting leprechaun.
4. Wicked for every adjective ever.
5. Breakdown lane for the shoulder of a highway. This is a huge trick because
during rush-hour people can actually drive in the breakdown lane.
6. Pissah for bathroom. Gross.
7. Rubbish for garbage. Where are we? England?
8. Rotary for traffic roundabouts. AKA death traps because the yields are
apparently optional.

I'm sure this list will continue to grow. I'll keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home