Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Marriage

My life changed very dramatically about 2 minutes ago. I answered the phone because Bill is teaching a night class and experienced my first telemarketer call as a wife. This was strange on many levels. First, the caller did not immediately become apparent as a solicitor without the "Is Mr. or Mrs. Guil..." followed by a long pause that I am used to. Second, once determining it to be a telemarketer, I used to have the power to decide if I should actually pass the phone to one of my parents, or pretend they were not home. In this instance I was immediately angry that I now have a easily pronoucable name that does not filter real calls and in such a state, I got caught in a trap of not wanting to interrupt the nice man. While he did his thing, I contemplated how I am a Mrs. now. No more pawning off solicitors to my mom and making her deal with them. It's funny what makes marriage seem real. You may think that standing in front of a huge church with a big white dress would do it, but no, telemarketers help me to feel married. Who knew they could be so helpful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home