Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Dependencies

Ironically, now that I am legally independent of my parents, I find myself to be more dependent than ever. This predicament is especially irritating as I struggle to transition between college-life and the "real world." Working 40 hours a week sure makes me miss the flexibility of a college schedule. But then, who wants to relive the hundreds of papers and frequent tests. A "real" job would actually give me some say in my day to day activities that doesn't include vast amounts with dinosaurs. But being overqualified makes for no work at home; not a bad deal. So, even though I am currently independent of both college and the future, I am strangely dependent on the idea of both of them to get through the present. What a quandary. Here are some other dependencies I've developed this year.

1.) Books -- Spending time with the kids that cannot even read leaves me craving for intellectual conversation. Because I am home with only a cat for a companion, my books become essential in making me feel like an educated person.

2.) Denise Austin's encouragement -- There are two adult-sized chairs in my classroom, both of which I am not allowed to sit in. That leaves 36 chairs that dig into the middle of my back and the tile floor. Pilates is the only reason I can physically get up in the morning.

3.) Bill -- He has always helped me with problems, but he is answering questions and making complaint telephone calls like a fiend this year. Who knew insurance, the internet, and even the bathtub could be so complicated?

I guess the lesson is that no matter how independent the law, or you, think you are, independence really leads to more dependencies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home