Saturday, December 03, 2005

Christmas Julie's Style

I had to take a little break from writing due to the embarassing typo so graciously pointed out by my father. I've finally gained the confidence to write again after a few visits to an English major support group.

Christmas has come to my program, and it's come with a vengenace. Now I'm a huge fan of the Christmas season, in fact, it's my favorite holiday. However, I have never seen Christmas done like it's being done at Julie's. The major problem is a huge excess of deocrations. The sheer volume of fake greenery is nauseating. It wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't have to be the one putting it up. I spent the entire day before Thanksgiving fighting with garland. That did not make me thankful for the program and that was just round one of decorating. What makes it even more ridiculous is the population it's trying to impress. The women of the program would not even have presents for their kids if it weren't for donors. I'm pretty sure they would rather have the program's money spent on necessities instead of life-size carolers. Speaking of decorations, you would think the program would be full of kids making projects for their moms. You would be wrong, because that job was given to us Americorp workers. Can't have the kids messing up the construction paper ornaments. I've decided that simple is definitely better when it comes to celebrating this holiday. Maybe my mom really is on to something with her wabisabi theory. But I would never tell her that to her face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home