Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Perks of Poverty

As much as I complain about my newly chosen state of poverty, there are definitely perks. Nuns, for some reason, are a popular recipient of free tickets. Tonight we will attend our second Celtics game -- free of charge. Granted, we are at the top of the balcony and I am now hip to the apparently common knowledge that the Garden is rat infested (Thanks Dad). I'm not sure why donors would think, "Hmm... I have these free basketball tickets. Who do I know that would be interested? Of course! The seventy-year old nuns at NDEC!" I am definitely not complaining though. If these tickets find their way to me, I will gladly take them off the hands of those not interested.

Along with professional basketball, I also get to attend benefit dinners. Well less dinners than "Hors D'oeuvres and Drinks" read: chips and salsa and wine, but once again, I am not complaining. One of the major sacrifices Bill and I have had to make is wine. Not only can we not afford it, we don't even have access to my parent's supply! It's tough. I'm pretty sure the Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot mix that I took advantage of last week would not have been in Mom and Dad's wine rack, but it was free.

So as you read about my difficult job and my huge sacrifices, don't feel too bad for me. I'm a wine-guzzling, basketball-watching volunteer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home