Monday, October 31, 2005

Weekend with parents = fabulous. Halloween in Braintree = LAME!

I gave you a quick little preview of our last few days. We were lucky enough to have my parents come and visit us in Beantown and were spoiled rotten. After living in Boston for two months, I had my first (and second) tastes of clam chowdah that did not come out of a can. I could have been living in the ocean with all of the seafood I ate this weekend. You would think this is a common occurrence as we live by the water, but though it is more plentiful, the seafood is definitely not cheap. Seafood was eaten and wine was drunken so basically it was a regular Guilbeault family dinner transported to the East Coast. Wonderful. The only unfortunate part was the weather. Our Saturday trip to Gloucester was interrupted by fulfledged snow. There was at least an inch of snow which was previously predicted to be "a few flurries what would most definitely not stick." It sure stuck alright-- all over the highways we were traversing. Even more annoying is that this 34 degree day was followed by a 67 degree day. Of course, by that time my parents were back on the plane to Appleton. However, a few snowflakes is nothing to complain about after a great weekend.

Something I can complain about though is Halloween Braintree style. Apparently it doesn't exist. No dressing up, no trick or treating, no waiting at the stairs to see which Disney movie is most represented this year. Highly disappointing. Driving through Braintree, Bill and I saw three witches. Bill tried to cheer me by attempting to convince me that a guy in a football jersey was dressed up as a football player and a clearly very old man was just dressed up as an old man. What a good husband. My real fear is that we live in the neighborhood that parents tell their kids they are not allowed to go in even for free candy like the apartments near Bill's Appleton house. For once I was the one saying something would never be like this in Appleton and I'm sticking by it. No trick or treating is like no Santa Clause. They probably don't believe in him here either. Come on Braintree -- have a little holiday spirit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home